Wednesday, March 7, 2012

90 Days. I am Old. No other news flashes...


90 Days.  A long time.  It takes 30 days to establish a habit.  I have clearly established a habit.  Does that excuse my lack up blog updates? No.  My eating and exercise have been on point.  No crazy cheating.  No slacking.  Just plugging away.  The mid-point of the challenge feels strange.  What was new, is now normal.  So it is hard to think… yes… I have to put this up on my blog.  It just feels normal and right.  So should it be any wonder that after a period of comfort comes a plateau?   90 day slump meeting at Crossfit… check.  End result… How bad do you want to get where you want to go?  News Flash… It will be hard.  So how bad do I want it?  I embraced fitness late in life.  I have been heavy my whole life.  The first summer I decided not to work, (I was a teacher… and often took another job over the summer.) I decided to take up running.  Keep in mind… no sports through high school… heavy girl… you get the picture.  My maiden voyage was a “jog” around the lake in Washington park.  I put on my Walkman… oh yes, this happened in the time of the good ol’ cassette deck.  I lived on State Street at the time, so I walked to the lake in the park.  I started my jog.  After about two minutes… I thought death was eminent. But I was determined to make it all of the way around without stopping.  I was panting, delirious, and nearing the finish when I stumbled on fell on rocks, splitting my knees open.  And so I walked back to my apartment…bloody knees and all.  So started my “athletic” career. Since that first “jog” 13 years ago, I have welcomed three children into my life.  I have completed 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons in costume, and a full marathon.  I have completed traithlons, and coached triathlon groups.  I am not fast.  I have heart.  I pick something that scares me and I do it.  Crossfit is that for me.  When I walked into Crossfit, Kevin did not even blink an eye when I signed up for a year on the spot.  I knew little to nothing about crossfit, other than it was going to be a challenge unlike any I have had in my life.  So I have hung in there since the end of August.  I signed up, immediately went primal, and I have survived the WODs.  What do I want for the remainder of the challenge?  I want to push.  To fight.  To use power. To be strong.  To rock out good form.  So where do I go from here?  I started my first one-on-one training with Kevin this week.  After he asked my age, and I replied that I was 38 now, but would be 39 on Friday…his response was “Well…our goals get harder to achieve as we get older.”  Well holy crap.  I am old.  Also in question after my session….flexibility, strength and stamina.  What is my potential?  What are my genetics?  I have heart.  I will fight for what I want.  I want to throw heavy weight above my head.  I want to rock out pull ups.  So the prescription for now is volume training on sucks and tabata drills for power.  I have had no problems journaling my food intake.  I am clearly good at eating.  What I have to do now is log, track and measure my workouts.  I have to establish my max weight for basic movements.  I have to dial in my nutrition… more to come on that after session two ala Kevin. I need to drink more water.
Food Log… Nothing really new folks…
Monday:
5:30am Spin
Breakfast- Scrambled eggs with zuchinni and onions, coffee.
Snack- 2 Blueberry Protein Balls (Mark Sisson Recipe)    
1 Hour training Session with Kevin
Lunch-  Butternut squash, kale, cauliflower chicken bake.  Apple and almond butter
Dinner- Taco salad with greens and avocado
Paleo chocolate lava cake.
Suplaments- check.

Tuesday:
Breakfast: Eggs with bacon, avocado and tomatoes, coffee.
Snack: Handful of almonds and raisins
Lunch: Shepards Pie with mashed cauliflower and mixed berries
Crappy day feel good food… dark chocolate with mint
Snack before Zumba event- orange and two protein balls
2 hours of Zumba in the club
1 piece of paleo cake… make by Star… AMAZING
Sliced Turkey… late night. 

Wednesday:
Breakfast: Paleo Blueberry chia muffin with sun nut butter and coffee.

1 comment:

  1. Banana bread. THANK YOU. It was the best banana bread I've ever eaten. I don't even like banana bread. Now I do.

    :)

    ReplyDelete