Saturday, January 21, 2012

BAGELS!!!!! Grain and dairy free... AMAZING!!!!!!

Lets start with breakfast today shall we?  After a chilly am class, I made up my favorite blend of eggs, tomatoes, avocado and bacon.   But as I was eating late, around 11... I tried a BAGEL yes a BAGEL that I found frozen at the COOP in Albany.  It is from against the grain. Grain and dairy free...and AMAZING!!!!!



Moving onto our afternoon... my daughter and I found this recipe in the latest issue of Everyday Food.  I primal-a-fied it with fantastic results.  My substitutions are listed in the recipe below.

Spoon into these cakes and find a surprise: There's a delicate sauce at the bottom.
Everyday Food, January/February 2012
  • Prep Time 20 minutes
  • Total Time 50 minutes
  • Yield Serves 8

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for ramekins (I used coconut oil)
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled) (I used 3 tablespoons of Almond Flour and 1 Tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons coconut flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar (I used coconut crystals)
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1/3 cup lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk (I used coconut milk)
  • Confectioners' sugar, for serving (I dusted it with maple sugar powder.)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter eight 6-ounce ramekins or a 2-quart baking dish. Set in a shallow baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks with 1/2 cup granulated sugar until pale and smooth. Whisk in butter, lemon zest and juice, milk, and flour mixture. (Refrigerate mixture, up to 3 hours.)
  3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites with 1/4 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form, 5 minutes; fold into batter. With a ladle, divide batter among ramekins (keeping sides clean). Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake until cakes are puffed and slightly golden on top, 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.

Cook's Note

Kitchen Tip: Baking the cakes in a water bath creates an even, gentle cooking environment, resulting in a moist, silky texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment